Tuesday 20 August 2013

Trip to Peru

    Throughout my thrilling life, I have been on many fun, life changing trips to France, Belgium, the United States, Japan, Korea, Palau.  One of my favorites and probably the most best experiences was my trip to Peru in South America.  The summer after my sophomore year in high school, our school took a trip to Peru.  A teacher at our school is originally from Peru, and every other year she takes high school students to her lovely home country.  We all had so much fun thanks to her.  Everyday she went out of her way just to make sure we had fun.  Going to Peru was my first time being in South America and I am so glad Peru was the first.  The trip was a fantastic experience and literally life changing.  Out of the 20 people that went on the trip, everyone said they had enjoyed the trip so much.  A few other teaches accompanied us on the trip and they turned out to be very cool.  Everything about that trip was amazing.  I had a lot of fun.
     While we were in Peru we visited many different parts of the country.  We literally stayed in 7-8 different hotels around the country.  That is how many places we went to.  It was tiring, but every single time it was worth it.  We spent countless hours riding on a bus.  The longest bus ride we took was about 16 hours.  That was the only bad part about the trip, other than that everything else was perfect.  We visited Lima, which is the capital city, Puno, Cuzco, and Macchu Picchu.  My favorite part of the trip was all the sight seeing.  Machu Picchu was probally my favorite out of all of them.  All the ruins were absolutely beautiful and when we finally got to the top, the view was breath taking.  I had never seen anything like that before.  You look down and all you see are the Incan ruins from thousands of years ago.  You look up and you see mountains covered in clouds.  It was perfect, literally.  We walked down to check out all the ruins and they were actually pretty interesting.  We saw how and where the Inca people lived.  It started to rain, so it got super cold and we eventually had to leave and head back to the hotel and call it a day.
     On our trip we also went river rafting and zip-lining.  They were both pretty exciting and they got my adrenaline rushing.  We also tried alpaca meat.  I wasn't a big fan of it, but it wasn't that bad.  One of the better activities we did was sand boarding.  We were literally in a desert and we would board down the huge hill of sand.  It was amazing.  It was pretty similar to snow boarding, but i enjoyed it more in the sand.
     Towards the end of our trip, we visited the children's hospital in Lima, Peru.  The hospital was full of kids that had mental, physical, and even emotional dissabilities.  I was assigned to a room with four young children who were all around  the age of 8 and 9.  One of them had a tumor in his brain which caused his eyes to be pure red.  Another kid had his legs removed from a severe burn.  I made cards with all four of the kids and they seemed to enjoy my company.  Putting a smile on their faces was the best feeling in the world.  We played board games and sang songs with each other and when it was time to say goodbye, they all shouted my Spanish name, Juan Carlos, and waved goodbye.  Seeing these children and all the misfortune they had in their lives really made me realize how lucky i am and how thankful i should be for everything that i have.  Being to that hospital made me appreciate all the little things.  My favorite trip could not have ended any better.
 
 www.dreamhimalayan.com

No comments:

Post a Comment